The place which I call Home


Here far away from the place where I belong, where the I no longer stroll on streets laden with autumn leaves early in the mornings as I used to with my dearest friends, I welcome the leaves through the window of my room. The days when I never knew the meaning of longing or the value of simplicity, when the simplest of things and moments used to bring me great joy and contentment, are left far far behind. Amidst the arms of my home, my world, many a memories must be still lying covered by dust. But they remain as natural to me as breathing.

Here as I sit and ponder over this I can hear my friends discussing about the serenity of the hills.Few years back I had been nestled in the Uttaranchal Himalayas but never realised it truly that I was blessed to have been brought up over there.

Dont worry friends I am not going to act as a tourist guide over here. Just thought that I should share with you a few facts regarding the magnificience of the place where I have spent my entire life uptil now.




Nainital is one of northern Indian oldest and perhaps most popular hill resorts named after the Naini Tal or lake, shaped like the eye, which lies in the centre of the town.

Legend says that Sati, the consort of Shiva consigned herself to the sacrificial fire when her father Daksha slighted her lord. In grief, Shiva danced the tandava with the lifeless body of Sati, until Vishnu cut it into bits scattering it all over the land. The spots where her body parts landed became shaktipeethas, revered by pilgrims even today. It is believed that Sati’s eyes, or naina landed at Nainital thus giving the place its name. In ancient times the lake was also know as the Tri-rishi Sarovar or the lake of the three saints, namely Atri, Pulastya and Pulaha. According to historical records, Nainital was discovered by a British sugar merchant named P. Barron. The merchant was so deeply enthralled by the lake settlement and its forested surrounding that he came back with a sailing boat and built a house named Pilgrim’s Cottage. Thus started the process of settling this once secluded mountain resort.

Surrounded by seven hills known as the Saptshring, the lake is nothing less that water of paradise for the tourists. This Lake District of India stands at an altitude of 1938 meters,with its head held high. Its unending expanse is nothing short of a neverending romance with mother nature. A favourite with the British, it was home to Jim Corbett for many years and all of us have undoubtedly read about that in books. It has been known for its candles, woodcrafts, woolens and handicrafts since those golden days.

People will come and people wil go leaving behind traces of memories but will take away a part of it in their heart. The clouds passing by cast their reflections in the mirror of the Naini Lake.Up in the sky with the only desire of reaching out for my ground I remain in the heart of the water as a reflection, far yet close beyond time. As a cloud I have drifted away leaving behind my impressions etched in that place which I call Home.



Up in the burrow of my room

Where my stay seems to have ended too soon..
Where memories of every season remain
Bathed in the sunlight drenched in the rain..
Blue was my blanket in which carefree I used to sleep
Wrapped up in which my blues of the day I used to keep..

My escape into the land which I called my own
In the warm embrace of the place I called home..
I miss my burrow where I grew up to be what I am today
Those endless tears after the laughter from yesterday..
I wonder if my home stands alone in the silence still
Or whether someone like me in the search of the moon 
still peeps out from every window sill..



Comments

  1. OMG!!!!!! So Serene.......Take us all to Nainital Once na...... And i hope they preserve greenery there atleast.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. mujhe nanital jana hai....spcly after reading this

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really nicely written! Took me back to the old days instantly...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Spin It

Abandoned: End of a beginning?

Mother-child relationship does go a longer way than thought of